Tuesday, October 18, 2016

weaving... something mystical...

As I mentioned before there are things, even crafty things that for some reason does not make to the blog... and that is not becaus they are not "blogworthy" (to use the expression the Yarn Harlot used), because they are. Sometimes more than that. However life is just constant rushing and I am still playing catch up...
One such a thing is weaving. Knitting and crocheting are things I always had in my life. My mom knitted, my (paternal) grandmother knitted and crocheted, it would have been really difficult to avoid their influence in my life. I grew up with it, it was natural that I learned them early, and kept doing it. Spinning however drawn me in like an invisible magical force, however I tried, I could not resist the siren song of fibers twisted into thread.
I felt similar draft toward weaving, all my life. There is some reason, that keeps me at an arm's distance, like I had to wait many many years to get to actually weaving my first shawl.
Then more years to get back to the looms...
I did not know Judit personall, only from Facebook, weavers and yarnistas are somehow drawn to the same circles, and without ever meeting me personally from two comments she realized I am in a deep trouble. She offered me help, without asking anything in return, and I am certain, that her help did turn my life around. I knew she weaves, I've seen her looms, and I wanted to go and work in her place, hoewer I knew that I want to do it with a clean soul. I did not wanted, but I knew I needed to wait, until I am prepared emotionally and physically... meaning that (as the fox in The Little Prince say: dress up my soul, prepare my heart) I can't do it hurriedly, fitting into two deadline and an exam.
Physically also meant that I wanted to take my own yarn, the one that I dyed the fiber for and spun... the process being part of getting my sould ready...
When I finished the university this January, a garduation present to me was finally getting to spend a day at Judit's workshop (and a few since)... Hopefully slowly I can show you what I was up to there...

This was the first...
The yarn I spun from 100 grams of BFL and silk
To which we added some alpaca and silk I had in my stash (also handspun by me,
 And the finished scarf before the final fixing of the fringes and washing.

No comments: