Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Taking a shower

in other words: my bathroom and the law of Murphy...
some of you might remember the tap was "broken" (dripping) for a long long time...it gotten so bad that I had to close the main tube for cold water... which was OK, for a while because the hot water wasn't really hot, but not so long ago, the house changed services and then the hot water became... well hot. Washing my hand equalled a hair removing exercise... anyway To change the tap the basin would need to be taken off the wall... But the screws holding it were "rotten" into the wall in the thirty years of damp environment... No tool could fit there to cut it off, so it would need to break apart , so a new basin is needed. I decided that if I need to change it, I might get a smaller one to save a bit of space... Went with the plumber (an ex colleague of mine) to get the new basin, spent like two days searching for the right one...But the smaller ones have no holes at the corner (a special solution for these prefabricated buildings that uses the same tap for the basin and filling the tub.)... Then at a point my aunt renovated their bathroom and they took down the old basin. My father got it and brought it to me. It is the same size as the original one, but for free, what the heck. I had two taps. One was bought by PJ (used of course) and the one that came off with the basin.
Plumber comes, breaks the old basin, drills holes for the new one, puts the tap and the new shower thing on, puts the whole thing back on the wall... And the lighting goes off. I suspect that it is some connection problem, and use a spot-lamp.. (ever since) And the tap is dripping... it is too late to change so he goes home, comes back two days later, and the other tap is dripping (though in a different place and not as much as the other, AND the shower does work.) Plumber goes on vacation.
While he is away some piece of the drainage is breaking off, and whatever goes into the basin, goes right out to the bathroom floor...
In the meanwhile I get a rod for a shower curtain as a present from someone I know (she had her bathroom remodelled and the rod was in her closet for eight years)... nice, huh?
Only I find out that it is about two cm too long and I cannot fit it into the place...

Anyway, plumber guy came last night, brought a new tap, fixed it on its place, changed the plastic drainage to a metal one (so it cannot break off), cuts the curtain rod, and puts it into place... In an attempt to find out what is wrong with the lightning I take out the bud off the kitchen lamp... breaking off a connection piece from that... so now I have no light in the bathroom nor in the kitchen... For the kitchen a new IKEA lamp would help, but IKEA is half a city away, and I have no time to go there...

But while we are talking of home improvement... a few weeks ago I bought a drawer chest for my -extensive-collection of underwear (yeah, i am a maniac when it comes to matching things- umm colors- up)...Anyway the thing came in a small flat box, so it had to put together... even my father doubted I could/would manage it, but hey, look...

It took me less than two hours, not bad eh?

Still more on home improving one night I came home to see this from my window:

I live in one of those east-European type of prefabricated buildings, that has many, many problems, one of them is bad, bad insulation. In the summer it is hot, but-which is much worst for me- in the winter it gets really really cold. Now the house is getting a 10 cm thick coat of foam-something put on it from the outside. These things are hanging down on two steel rope, but for the evenings they think it is safer to have it at the highest position, which is the front of my window. I am telling you it is NOT fun looking this thing in a real stormy weather, nor it is fun waking up these workers banging their equipment early in the morning... not to mention I have to be careful about running around without adequate clothing...

3 comments:

jennybms said...

Oh goodness, what a story! I feel for you - I can understand exactly what it must be like, having experienced similar things in Hungary. And here I had no water in the shower for a few days, because there were too many people living in the building and the system can't cope. Had to shower at the swimming pool yesterday.
And that THING outside your window! Still, just think how warm and cosy it will be in the winter. ;-)

Anonymous said...

That "thing" is a swing stage and my husband hangs from one on a regular basis. He only had it fall when it was -40F and the buttons froze up so one side kept going down & the other side stopped moving. They can be quite scary! He loved looking at the picture of it. He says they aren't allowed to be wood around here.

Teal

Brussels Chronicles said...

You got the drawer chest ! Yay ! Good for you ! (and now you are truly my sister, putting the thing together so quickly... we should team up and make some extra money of this assembling skill, LOL!)