Saturday, August 22, 2009

Festival of Folk Arts part 2.

Seeing the pictures from Thursday my boy decided that he wants to see the festival after all...
I said of course, and in fact it was so good that I already seen everything bought most what I wanted, so I could concentrate on letting Chris have fun... and boy, he did.
He loved the pottery:

Tried on this felted hat (and made stupid faces):

We found an other great outfit (mama's son, he is...):

Tried the bird whistle:

The traditional Hungarian instrument, called "citera":

He even wanted to try the traditional way of making lace... and guess what not only he sat in one place concentrating on it for more than 20 minutes, he actually got the hang of it...(which is more than what I could say for myself.):

We both were enchanted by the tiny, carved musical boxes:

Played with clay...made a little pig shaped money saver thingy...(the one where you have a slot to get the money in... to get it out, one has to break the whole thing):

Of, course, since he IS mama's boy, he HAD to try the spinning wheel...

And see how the other one works:

And lastly, but most importantly... he was weaving... this group is from the city I grew up (Szolnok), and there was a man at the loom... and he was happy to show it to Christopher

And again:

And again...


It took me more than an hour to drag him from there, and then I could only do it with the promise of going back:

Even I talked to the man (who is working with orphan kids, or kids who cannot live with their parents -ah, there is where his patient coming from)...I had to show him spinning with a top whorl spindle, and we talked great length about dyeing wool, especially KOOL AID dyeing, since I thought that would be absolutely harmless for the kids...

BTW can you see the utter concentration?

To top it all, Christopher wants to go back tomorrow... and he gave us participants passes, so we might just do that...
And who knows... Christopher might just start to like crafts... Now that would make me a really happy mama :-)
So it was once again a great day (hmm, it seems I keep saying that for ddays where my boy and crafts are involved... does that shows a trend there? LOL), my boy had a blast. I am absolutely thankful.

5 comments:

Brussels Chronicles said...

How wonderful ! To find something that totally captured him, and that appeals to both of you... bliss ! You could get him a small (table) loom to weave scarves and stuff on at home I suppose... think about it !

peony said...

Yes, I already bought him a small loom (see the post in 2008 july),, but I realized that what really draws him to weaving is the movement with the big "rib" when they pull it to make the textil denser... I did talked to my father, because my sister has a small loom that is not a "weaving frame" but a small replica of a loom, and I asked them to lend it to my boy...

Unknown said...

I love reading about this and the pictures bring it all to life. I just found your blog from the wannabee spinners group on Ravelry.

M.E. Greene said...

Looks like so much fun! I love folk festivals. My boys love them too! Just stopping by to share a little bloggy love today. :) Have a good one!

Marie Greene,
from Permission to Unwind
http://permissiontounwind.blogspot.com

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

Wow this looks like so much fun! I am the lady on Etsy who had the conv about the blue spindle!:) I have a 9 yr old girl and wish she showed as much intrest. She does spin weave loom knit crochet but gets bored with it quickly. God Bless Marion